Whipasnapa Original Recipes
- Thaw crab and shrimp, if frozen. Remove crabmeat from shells, then cut crabmeat into bite-size pieces. Devein shrimp. Cover and refrigerate the shellfish
- For gumbo, in a 5-quart heavy Dutch oven melt margarine. Stir in flour. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until a dark reddish brown roux is formed. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic. Then continue cooking and stirring over medium-low heat about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth. Then stir in the undrained tomatoes, okra, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Carefully add crab, shrimp. Return just to boiling, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for 2 to 4 minutes or until shrimp turns pink and fish is done. Remove from heat. Stir in file powder.
- To serve, remove bay leaf. Spoon the gumbo over the hot rice in individual soup bowls. Makes 8 servings.
King Salad (just like tuna fish)
2 lbs cooked King Mackerel, smoked or seasoned to taste
4 boiled eggs
3/4 dijon mayo
1/4 pickle relish
1/2 red pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
1 small onion
salt and pepper
Saute all peppers and onions (chopped finely) till tender, then mix all remaining ingredients.
Fish taco’s or fajita’s
2 lb fish (any kind will work)
1/2 onion (yellow,sweet or red)
1/2 cup peppers(red,yellow or green)
dash of water for mixing
1 pack of taco or fajita seasoning
1 tbsp butter or olive oil
squirt of lemon
Saute onions and peppers in oil or butter till tender, push to one side of skillet, pat fish dry and place in oil cook till flakey.
For taco’s–use taco seasoning
For fajita’s– use fajita seasoning
garnish with anything and everything you like on taco’s/fajita’s!! ENJOY
1-1/2 Lb. Cleaned Shrimp
1 large Ragu Spaghetti Sauce
1 10-Oz. Can Rotel
1 small can tomato sauce
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp gumbo file
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add to all other ingredients except shrimp and file into a slow cooker. Cook on high for 20 minutes and turn to low for 3 hours. Add shrimp and file and continue to cook on low for 30 more minutes. Serve over pasta or rice.
1-8oz bag of elbow noodles
1/2 cup chopped sweet pickle or relish
1 lb small boiled shrimp or chopped med. shrimp
1/2 cup red pepper(optional)
1/2 cup(or more if needed) miracle whip or may(your choice)
3 boiled eggs
Boil noodles to done. Do not over cook. Drain well. Add all ingredents and stir well. Serve over a bed of lettuce.
Cobia burgers/patties with white cream sauce
1 pound cobia 1/4 cup onion
1/4 cup red peppers* 1/4 cup green peppers
1/4 cup green onions one egg
pinch sea salt 1/4 tbls ole bay seasoning
olive oil enough just to wet 1/2 clove of garlic
*if using red pepper flakes only use 1/2 tsp*
Mix together in food processor–fold in 1/2 cup panko bread crumps. Make into patties put into iron skillet for 2-3 mins on each side. Can put cheese on top. Go crazy use for stuffing peppers, mushroom, flounder whatever Enjoy
White Cream Sauce
1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 tbsp sour cream
dash of creamy style horseradish
dash of dill
smaller dash of natural hickory liquid smoke
pinch of Ole Bay Seasoning
dash of maple syrup
squirt of olive oil
Mix together and pour over anything!!!!
1 pound crab meat
1 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs(can substitute 2tbsp mayo)
1/2 cup celery(finely chopped)
1/2 cup onion(finely chopped)
1/2 cup red bell pepper(finely chopped)
1 tbsp dry mustard
1 tbsp worchestchire
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 stick butter
mix all together and make the patties. you can either bake in oven 350* for about 20- 30mins. As with any seafood be careful not to over cook, keep it moist. Also great for flounder, shrimp and mushroom. If using in the mushrooms adding some chopped up shrimp in it is good.